Storing tapes in an offsite vault is old school.
Customers all over the world are paying top dollar for an air conditioned room that really provides no real benefits should a restore of those tapes be required. Many companies lose track of what they have offsite, have no way to easily recover from the masses of tapes piling up, and have resigned themselves to paying hefty offsite storage invoices for the rest of their corporate lives. Many of them also live in hopes of not ever having to do a restore from the old media, as they know that the old technology and software platforms needed are likely no longer functioning in their data centre.
If you ask any of the companies that use the typical physical offsite storage system, they will all tell you they do so as there has not been a decent alternative – that is until now. Tape Ark breaks the need to keep doing old school vault storage. The service allows all of the data to be available – on line, and is often cheaper or the same cost as just same old tape storage. Restores are no longer an issue, data retention plans can become proactive and robust, access to data is minutes or hours instead of weeks, and analytics and big data tools can be used to interogate the vast collection of historical that offing new business insights into your business.
If you are still asking – what is the upside, then here is a list of the benefits to the Tape Ark service as compared to offsite old school vault storage.
By freeing our clients both physically and mentally from the traditional, cumbersome and often complex yet unreliable offsite data storage model, the movement of migration of this tape media to the cloud provides a range of benefits including:
- The ability to address media in the cloud as “media” and not a restored version of a historical backup. This approach has significant commercial upside for clients
- Increased data security and 11x9’s of durability
- Creation of backup and data replication to additional geographies in AWS for disaster recovery
- No more legacy tapes or tape drives to maintain
- Massively reduced data centre footprint and associated running costs
- Eco-friendly and environmental benefits of reducing vehicles on the road and running air conditioning and electrical in a warehouse
- A single point of access to all legacy data
- Removal of risk of degradation of tape media
- Fast and efficient access to data within hours of request, instead of days – forget picking data, courier vans and restoring tapes
- Direct online access to massive data collections and deployment of analytics tools previously not possible when tapes were in a vault - opens up legacy data to Data Mining, and Big Data processing at the click of a button
- Ability to expire media with the click of a button
- Cost neutral – no more than current physical storage costs but with massive upside and value
- Removal of requirement for expensive tape to tape data migration projects
- Simple and rapid “learning” can be achieved while tapes are transferred to shore up old catalogues, make decisions about retention with accuracy, de-duplicate data, re-catalogue datasets and confidently retire unneeded datasets
- The ability to defer decision making on how to manage the media until you understand the data you have through the rapid learning achieved in the migration process.
Perhaps best of all is that our tape migration service to the cloud is free of charge. Simply take the fees you currently pay for old school and wasteful off site storage and transfer that cost to Tape Ark and we will take care of the rest. We will transfer your tapes free of charge to the cloud and provide access to the data like never before. No more waiting around, no more couriers, no more legacy infrastructure.