Data Cataloguing and Indexing Services
Tape Ark offers advanced cataloguing and indexing solutions for your legacy tape data or incoming live streams of data – adding value to your assets and allowing more efficient searching of your data archives. By organising and indexing your data collection with well-defined and customised search parameters, enormous efficiency gains can be achieved.
Cataloguing of geophysical data adds value to large archives of exploration data and includes:
- Secure, online access to data catalogue from any location globally
- Ability to search and query data on catalogued parameters
- Extensive indexing services for in-depth data capture
- Inclusion of digital tape photographs, EBCIDIC header and trace dumps, free text fields, GIS coordinates and accompanying tape documentation such as observer logs and seismic sections
- Recording and tracking of all data movements in and out of the account
- Reporting on data volumes, usage, and other analytics – plus facilities to add your own data analytics to your data lake.
For most oil and gas companies, the services being offered by offsite data storage companies is not adequate for the creation of a functional data catalogue. In addition, the data is not easily accessible. Offsite storage providers are great at putting tapes on shelves but have no deep geophysical understanding and therefore their indexing tends to be high level and poorly understood. Geophysical data such as seismic, navigation, and potential feed data types, require an in-depth understanding of the data to make a truly useful catalogue. Knowing the difference between field and processed data types, understanding what data might be related such as observer logs to field seismic, and keeping tight controls on how data is entered to avoid inconsistent naming conventions are all an important part of the catalogue process for geophysical data. This is where Tape Ark’s highly skilled team and years of experience in this industry sector comes to the fore.
Some of the value added services being offered by Tape Ark include:
- Digital photography of the tape labels to preserve all label information and to allow online visual identification of the media and its label information. This means a permanent record of the tape label is retained and accessible, even once data is moved off tape and to the cloud.
- The ability to load tapes into drives to validate or confirm the tape contents. This can be useful where there is no label information on a tape, or where the label does not provide adequate detail.
- Scanning of hard copy documents including seismic sections, observer logs, feather angle diagrams, or tape logs.
- Free data duplication to your data lake for immediate download, and truly advanced cataloguing.
Tape Ark has over 20 years of experience in handling, cataloguing and storing seismic data on a global scale. Now with our new Open Standard Petroleum Data Lake, oil and gas companies can store their data in a standard format, and attach their own GIS, analytics, or big data tools to the front end of the data lake to operate on a scale never before possible.