Data management and storage in the retail industry has undergone many changes in the past quarter century and continues to do so as market trends become more global and ecommerce moves it away from the bricks and mortar sphere. The increase in companies wanting to access statistics or historical data to develop and understand trends in sales or inventory management are on the rise, and the Tape Ark solution can help bring this data off of backup tapes and into the production environment.
All predictive analytics systems need historical data to ingest on which it can base it predictions. Given that the number one backup media for many years has been tape, then this is the obvious repository for long standing historical transaction data to help improve costs in a business, or improve sales. Data management is moving from a cost centre to a way to generate new revenue, and Tape Ark is designed to bring that to fruition.
The types of services that Tape Ark provides the Retail and Commerce sector include:
- Restore all forms of media tapes
- Reformat legacy tape backups for ingest into newly deployed backup and retrieval systems
- Restore and import large volumes of tapes to Amazon or Azure for connecting to AI and predictive analytics tools
- Prepare large volumes of data for import into databases and other proprietary systems
- Restore and reformat data from one system to another (List of formats here)
- Data ownership segregation for jointly collected data or for leverage and monetising the data asset
- Restore data for placing into active storage for streaming or ingestion into live analytics platforms to enhance sales and other retail and commercial systems